Scope and Consent
When you access our mobile optimized site, we may receive information about your location and your mobile device, including a unique identifier for your device. We may use this information to provide you with location based services, such as advertising, search results, and other personalized content. Most mobile devices allow you to control or disable location services in the device’s setting’s menu. If you have questions about how to disable your device’s location services, we recommend you contact your mobile service carrier or the manufacture of your particular device.
The AlterKnit New York website is a general audience website, and it and its related applications, services, and tools are not intended for children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personal information via our website, applications, services, or tools from users in this age group.
Collection of Personal Information
You can browse our site without telling us who you are or revealing any personal information about yourself. This information is associated to your account only when you provide your contact information anywhere on our site. If you provide your contact information, you give us your personal information, and you are not anonymous to us. If you choose to provide us with personal information, you consent to the transfer and storage of that information on our servers located in the United States.
We collect the following types of personal information in order to provide you with the use of and access to our site, applications, services and tools, and to help us personalize and improve your experience:
Information we collect automatically
Information you give us
We collect and store any information you enter on our site or you provide to us in context of using our site, applications, services or tools. This may include, but is not limited to: information you provide us when providing your contact information on one of our forms, including email address, phone number, physical contact information, and sometimes financial information, such as credit card or bank account numbers; transactional information based on your activities on the site; shipping, billing and other information you provide; information provided in the context of dispute resolution, correspondence through our site, or correspondence sent to us; additional personal information we ask you to submit to authenticate yourself or if we believe you are violating site policies (for example, we may ask you to send us an ID or bill to verify your address, or to answer additional questions online to help verify your identity).
Information from other sources
We may receive or collect supplemental information about you from third party sources and add it to your account information. This may include, but is not limited to, demographic, navigation information, additional contact information, credit check information, and additional information about you from credit bureaus or other sources, as permitted by law.
Use of Personal Information
Our primary purpose in collecting personal information is to provide you with access to our site and/or use of our services, applications and tools, provide you with requested customer service and relevant information about your account and our services, and to provide you with a safe, smooth, efficient, and customized experience.
You agree that we may use your personal information to:
- provide you access to our site and the services and customer support you request;
- prevent, detect, and investigate, fraud, security breaches, potentially prohibited or illegal activities, and enforce our Terms and Conditions;
- customize, measure and improve our services, content and advertising;
- contact you, either via email, surface mail or telephone, to resolve disputes, collect fees, and troubleshoot problems with your account or our site, services, applications or tools, or for other purposes authorized by law;
- contact you, either via email, surface mail or telephone to inform you about our services, deliver targeted marketing, service updates, and promotional offers based on your communication preferences;
- compare information for accuracy, and verify it with third parties;
- provide you other services requested by you as described when we collect the information.
We do not sell or rent your personal information to third parties for their marketing purposes without your explicit consent. We may combine your information with information we collect from other companies and use it to improve and personalize our services, content and advertising.
If you do not wish to receive marketing communications from us, you can choose to unsubscribe within the direct communication from us.
Our Disclosure of Your Information
We may also share your personal information with:
- Service providers who help with our business operations (such as, but not limited to, fraud investigations, shipping, bill collection, affiliate and rewards programs and site operations);
- Other third parties to whom you explicitly ask us to send your information (or about whom you are otherwise explicitly notified and consent to when using a specific service);
- Law enforcement, governmental agencies, or authorized third-parties, in response to a verified request relating to a criminal investigation or alleged illegal activity or any other activity that may expose us, you, or any other AlterKnit New York user to legal liability. In such events, we will only disclose information relevant and necessary to the investigation or inquiry, such as name, city, state, ZIP code, telephone number, email address, User ID history, IP address and anything else we may deem relevant to the investigation;
- Credit bureaus to whom we may report information about your account, including information on late payments, missed payments, or other defaults on your account that may be reflected in your credit report;
- Other business entities, should we plan to merge with or be acquired by that business entity;
- Without limiting the above, in an effort to respect your privacy, we will not otherwise disclose your personal information to law enforcement, other government officials, or other third parties without a subpoena, court order or substantially similar legal procedure, except when we believe in good faith that the disclosure of information is necessary to prevent imminent physical harm or financial loss or to report suspected illegal activity.
No Spam, Spyware, or Spoofing
We and our customers do not tolerate spam. To report AlterKnit New York-related spam or spoof emails to AlterKnit New York, please forward the email to [email protected] You may not use our communication tools to send spam or otherwise send content that would violate our Terms and Conditions. We may automatically scan and manually filter messages to check for spam, viruses, phishing attacks and other malicious activity or illegal or prohibited content.
How We Protect and Store Your Personal Information
We store and process your personal information on our computers. Some of the information gathered (such as the email list) will be stored on the hostgator server (our site’s host), where we rent space, and partially stored on our third party mass mailing sender service.
We protect your information using technical and administrative security measures to reduce the risks of loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure and alteration. Although we take these precautions, to protect your Personal Information, due to technical limitations, we do not represent, warrant and/or guarantee that personal information will remain secure.
Retention of Personal Information
We retain information as long as it is necessary and relevant for our operations. In addition, we may retain personal information from closed accounts, or accounts of past customers, to comply with the law, prevent fraud, collect any fees owed, resolve disputes, troubleshoot problems, assist with any investigation, enforce our Terms and Conditions and take other actions permitted by law.
Despite any precautions we take, the Internet is not a 100% secure environment, and we therefore cannot ensure or warrant the security of information you transmit to us. You acknowledge that you provide such information at your own risk. There is no guarantee that information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards. Emails, instant messages, and similar means of communication with other users are not encrypted, and we strongly advise you not to communicate any confidential information through these means.
Last updated June 5, 2014